*
  
*
*
* *
Login 
  Tuesday, December 12, 2017  
   

Communication Do’s and Don’ts
This seminar will present, in a fun educational way, some practical tips on communicating with your Deaf patient or family member. It will also explain the mindset of a Deaf person as not disabled but as a member of a separate sub-culture and why this is important to understand. We will also present some basic survival signs and how-tos of using an interpreter. This seminar is designed to last 1-1/2 hours.

What does the Interpreter Do?
This seminar will explain the role and responsibility of an interpreter in the medical/mental health setting including the Code Of Ethics that interpreters follow and how that applies to the medical and mental health settings. It will explain briefly about the process of interpretation and why it is so important to have a professional in the setting and not a family member or friend. This can piggyback with the seminar above for a half day in-service or as a stand-alone. This seminar is designed to last 1-1/2 hours.

Why do I need an Interpreter?
This seminar will address the requirements of equal access under the Americans with Disabilities Act, who to contact when an interpreter is needed and how to evaluate the effectiveness of the interpretation.(?) The role of the interpreter in the setting will be explained and the responsibility of all the parties involved will be addressed. It will explain briefly about the process of interpretation and why it is so important to have a professional in the setting and not a co-worker, family member or friend. We will also present some basic survival signs and how-tos of using an interpreter. This seminar is designed to last 1-1/2 hours.

Deafness is not a Disability
This diversity seminar will explore the meaning of disability, the oppression/power relationship of the able-bodied and the disabled and how those stereotypes are no longer acceptable and never were valid. Participants will learn the meaning of the word culture and explore why the Deaf are members of a sub-culture in American society and are not viewing themselves as disabled. Learn why the “only thing Deaf Can’t do is Hear”.

The Communication of Power
This seminar will explore the various communication styles and how they affect our everyday interaction with our peers, our subordinates and our superiors. It will touch on gender differences between men and women’s communication styles and how power is perceived through vocal inflection, body language and word choice. Learn how the words you use and the way you use them can have an unintended outcome on the communication event.

Mentorship -- A Way to Enhance Your Career
This seminar discusses what mentorship is, goal setting, the characteristics of a successful mentor and protégé and how to communicate throughout the mentorship relationship. Participants will take individual surveys to discover their readiness to be a mentor. Small group discussions will define the characteristics of an effective mentor and delineate the roles and responsibilities for both participants. Goal setting using the SMART method will be practiced.

Communication Styles
This seminar will explore a variety of communication styles and touch on how a multitude of factors, including gender, cultural differences and race, can imbue the communication with unintended overtones. Learn how differences in body language and eye gaze affect the message you are trying to convey or receive. Baby boomers CAN learn to talk with their Generation X colleagues and be understood! It is a matter of style. Did you know that only 7% of your communication depends on the words you use? What encompasses the other 93% is the focus of this seminar.

He Said/She Said
This seminar explores the miscommunication that can happen when men and women try to converse. It is done with humor and respect to both genders. Learn why men banter, joke and engage in one-up-man ship and why women always try to maintain an appearance of equality without flexing their muscles in a one-upmanship type of interaction. Learn some basics of communication behaviors, tactics that are used to dominate a conversation and some pointers for making your conversations with the opposite sex more productive at work.

Generations At Work, Managing Multigenerational Workforces
This seminar will explore the managerial challenges facing today’s managers, namely retaining qualified, motivated employees from different generations. Today more than ever before, workers are mingling between the generations. In the past, employment hierarchy divided generations. Now the generations are sitting next to each other and managers may be responsible for people older than themselves. How to manage and motivate these generational differences is what this seminar addresses.

   
Copyright (c) 2017 Advancing Interpreting & More, LLC
*
Terms Of Use    Privacy Statement